Dmitriy Vatolin graduated from the Applied Mathematics department of Moscow State University in 1996. He defended his Ph.D. thesis on computer graphics in 2000. A co-author of a book on data compression (Russian), published in 2003. A co-founder of compression.ru website — one of the biggest site on data compression and video processing in the world. From 2000 until 2006 took part in 5 start-up computer companies, in 3 as a co-founder, 4 of the companies are operating until now.
Video and data compression
- MP3 ZIP - lossless compressor of MP3 files with 1.2 ratio
- Visicron Cyclon codec - was the best for videoconferences streams during 2001-2004.
- MSU Lossless Video Codec - was the best in 2005-2007
- MSU annual H.264 codec comparisons
- Set of "MSU video filters" - research prototypes, tested with wide auditory (more than 3000000 downloads, strong feedback)
- Deinterlacer, Frame Rate Conversion and other filters for Samsung TV-sets and Broadcom STB.
- MSU Video Quality Metrics Tool - the biggest amount of video quality metrics, most was created during projects of self-tuning video filters
- Depth from Motion, Focus, Effects and Geometry - set of semi-automatic tools for fast depth reconstruction
- Depth Propagation and depth editing - set of tools for accurate depth editing
- Robust practical and fast GPU-accelerated Optical Flow
- Stereo-multiview Generator with Matting and special occlusion processing
- Stereo movies testing metrics (Focus mismatch, Color mismatch, Vertical parallax, Channels mismatch and etc).
- 3D devices testing base
- Stereoscopic quality assessment of 1,000 VR180 videos using 8 metrics. S. Lavrushkin, I. Molodetskikh, K. Kozhemyakov, D. Vatolin. Electronic Imaging, 3D Measurement and Data Processing 2020, 2021
- Video-Decoder Power Consumption on Android Devices: Power-Estimation Method, Dataset Creation, and Analysis Results. Р. Казанцев, В. Янушковский, Д. Ватолин. 2021 Data Compression Conference (DCC), 2021
- Разработка нейросетевых методов распространения цвета в видео. С. Лаврушкин, Д. Ватолин. Цифровая обработка сигналов, 2020
- Neural-Network-Based Detection Methods for Color, Sharpness, and Geometry Artifacts in Stereoscopic and VR180 Videos. S. Lavrushkin, K. Kozhemyakov, D. Vatolin. 2020 International Conference on 3D Immersion (IC3D), 2020
- Stereoscopic Dataset from A Video Game: Detecting Converged Axes and Perspective Distortions in S3D Videos. K. Malyshev, S. Lavrushkin, D. Vatolin. 2020 International Conference on 3D Immersion (IC3D), 2020